April showers brought May flowers. And with the upcoming opening of our “ristorante alfresco virtuale” Ciao Fiore! I’ve got edible flowers on my mind. Marigold and Johnny Jump-Up, Nasturtium, Pansy, and Borage too. I spotted the fiddlehead fern fronds at Whole Foods Market, in season right now just shipped down from Portland, Oregon. Flowers and ferns seemed like a pretty pairing, and thus this delightful Month-of-May salad was born.
Edible Flowers in the Salad:
- marigold – bright orange petals, some with red tips
- johnny jump up – small purple petals
- nasturtium – large orange flower
- pansy – large dark violet-purple flower
- borage – tiny blue petals