I recently had over 3 hours to kill at Newark Liberty International. While shopping for some airport souvenirs I stumbled upon this fabulous upscale wine bar Vino Volo. And the time just flew by…
There are Vino Volo locations in several airports in the US. They offer an interesting menu that complements the wine selections, including small plates of cheese and cured meats. Wine by the glass, tasting flight, and bottle are all available.
The wines come with this neat tasting chart which describes the bouquet and flavors as well as the style; charting fruit and complexity.
The World Noirs Flight $13
- California Russian Hill Estate 2006 “chocolate cherries & vanilla”
- New Zealand Martinborough Vineyards Russian Jack 2008 “wild strawberries & clove”
- France Roger Belland Santenay-Beauregard 2006 “macerated cherries & cocoa”
The Christmas Cabernets Flight $14
- California ZD Napa Valley 2006 “cassis & cocoa”
- Australia Plantagenet Great Southern 2004 “blackberry & cigar box”
- Chile Clos Quebrada de Macul Domus Aurea 2004 “wild berries & tarragon”
The California Kings Flight $11
- Lake County Obsidian Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 “wild blueberries & Chinese five-spice”
- Contra Costa County Trinitas Zinfandel 2006 “raspberry jam & white pepper”
- Carneros Truchard Syrah 2005 “cassis & white pepper”
The staff was very knowledgeable, engaging, and passionate about the wines they were serving. Also, since Vino Volo is located within the airport’s secured area, wine bottles purchased here can be carried onto the plane.
Vino Volo, when are you coming to LAX?
I have been flying Continental Airlines from LAX to Newark. They have a number of celebrity chefs and sommeliers that consult on their impressive restaurant-quality menus and wine service including Bryan Caswell, James Canora, Michael Cordúa, Paul Minnillo, Roy Yamaguchi, David Gordon, and Martin Korson.
The flight attendant was curious about my interest in photographing the food. I was thrilled when she shared the “Galley Attendant Briefing Sheet” with me.
- Offer hot towels at beginning of service.
- Place linen on tray table.
- Snacks are pre-packaged. Serve with first beverage after take-off.
- Arrange appetizer and salad on tray setup together.
- Remove wrap from appetizer and lid from salad.
- If compressed, loosen to improve presentation.
- Fill water glass.
Tamale filled breast of chicken served with ancho pepper and corn sauce, roasted red and yellow tomatoes and grilled yucca stalks.
Garlic Bread, Mini Pretzel Rolls, Mini Artisan Ciabatta Rolls, Mini Kaiser with Sesame Seed, Crusty Wheat Rolls
- Garlic Bread is boarded in foil wrap and remaining breads are boarded in oven bags.
- Warm bread and rolls lightly.
- Offer from basket throughout service.
Saffron couscous with dried cranberries, red roasted tomatoes, fresh broccolini, red bell pepper strips.
- For best results heat in steam oven.
- Place couscous in center of plate with chicken across top.
- Top with tomato and olive ragout.
- Vertically place broccolini spears at right side of plate with red bell pepper garnish across lower stems of broccolini.
- Garnish plate with parsley sprig.
Ice Cream Sundae
Toppings: Chocolate syrup, butterscotch, strawberry sauce, cherries, nuts, whipped cream.
- Remove toppings and ice cream from refrigeration 30 minutes prior to delivery.
- Offer pre-scooped ice cream glass on a medium plate with topping choices and a spoon.
Gotta love those frequent flyer miles!
Happy New Year!
May we all travel safely in 2010.